We all love to travel, to new places, new cities in cars, buses, caravans, by air, by the sea but I have travelled everyday since I was ten through books. I have let the ocean kiss my feet on the Coast of Ipanema and nosed around in Calgary and my travel expenses have never been more than the price of a McDonald Cheese Burger. Here's my travelogue where books can be found through the countries they have taken me to. The reviews are not professional and definitely not worth putting into a book review assignment for school! They are just a string of words that tell you what I felt when I travelled to a certain place. If it suits you, you go and book yourself a trip. If not, well...we'll keep it there!

Monday, June 23, 2014


The Diary of a Young GirlThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have to admit I was quite late when I finally laid my hands on The Diary of a Young Girl. What's probably even more delayed, is my review.
Anne Frank was a young Jewish girl, who wakes up one morning to find that in order to survive, she must hide. This diary of hers, records her days with her family and a fellow Jewish family in a dilapidated old house. As she struggles to comprehend what it means being a Jew in Nazi Germany, this little girl also discovers the first pangs of adolescence. This diary is thus a bit of both: a memoir and a coming-of-age book.

Reading Anne Frank's diary can be a bit of a task sometimes. (It's a teenager's diary, after all! What do you expect? Yours was probably much worse when you were thirteen!) What took me by storm when I read it is how precocious Anne was! After a while, I found that her observation was probably keener and better than an adult's.

It's a slow read but more importantly, it's a very very real account of the Holocaust, as seen from the eyes of a real person. If I have to use a literary reference for it, I'd say Anne Frank was, in her own way, the real Leisel Meminger (ref. toThe Book Thief)minus the book stealing.

Not worth missing if you're a Holocaust fan!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment